[R] Help about R

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Thu Aug 25 17:11:42 CEST 2005

Also, for the three dimensional graphic,
    help.search("3d")
will lead to a reference to the cloud() function in the lattice package.

I don't remember if the lattice package is installed by default. If
not, you will have to install it.
(If you're using a Mac or Windows computer, there's a menu item for
installing packages. Otherwise you have to use the install.packages()
function.)

Then

    require(lattice)
   ?cloud

to first load the lattice package, and then view the online
documentation for the cloud() function.

You can view one of the cloud() examples like this:

    require(datasets)
    cloud(Sepal.Length ~ Petal.Length * Petal.Width | Species, data = iris,
            screen = list(x = -90, y = 70), distance = .4, zoom = .6)

You could consider a bubble plot. There are two packages with
functions for bubble plots, gstat and sp.
(Neither of them is installed by default.) I suspect the one in gstat
will be easier to use, at least for someone new to R.

After having installed either of these packages, say gstat, then

   ?bubble

to get its documentation.

Overlaying a grid on the plot created by cloud() might be difficult
for an R beginner.

Here's a simple example:

bubble(data.frame(x=1:5,y=1:5,z=1:5))

-Don