[R] [newbie] Want to perform some simple regressions.

Thomas Baruchel archaiesteron at laposte.net
Sun Aug 28 09:48:15 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am a very newbie to R, and also have no knowledge concerning
statistics. Nevertheless I think R might be the right software
for a very specific number theory problem I sometime have.
Studying some properties, I often get sequences of real numbers
(let's call them y, the index x being 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, ...).

For instance the list below. After a quick look, it seems that
the sequence below is very close to something like
  (a.x + b) ln (c.x + d)
but I didn't manage to find something very good for (a,b,c,d).
My number theory software (maxima and pari/gp) don't seem to
be much helpful for this.

Is R the right choice ? Please, could you step by step show me
how you would do on this example (data below) in order to let me
do it on other examples. It would be very nice to join a script
of the session since I don't know yet the syntax of R commands.

Regards,

--
Thomas Baruchel