[R] memory

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 09:12:10 CEST 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Ferran Carrascosa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a matrix with 700.000 x 10.000 cells with floating point data.
> I would like to work with the entire table but I have a lot of memory
> problems. I have read the ?memory
> I work with Win 2000 with R2.1.0
>
> The only solution that I have applied is:
>> memory.limit(size=2048)
>
> But now my problems are:
> - I need to work with more than 2 Gb. How I can exceed this limit?

Re-read the rw-FAQ, or (preferably) get a more capable OS on a 64-bit CPU.

> - When apply some algorithms, the maximum cells in one object 2*10^9
> (aprox.) is reached.

You will never get that many cells (that is the address space in bytes,
and they are several bytes each).  Please do as the posting guide asks
and report accurately what happened.

> Please could you send me some advises/strategies about the work with
> large amount of data in R?
>
> R have a way to work with less memory needs?

Your matrix has 7e09 cells (assuming you are using . as a thousands
separator) and needs 5.6e10 bytes to store.  Your OS has a memory address
limit of 3.2e09 bytes.  Don't blame R for being limited by your OS.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk