[R] R binaries

Berwin A Turlach berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 31 09:07:36 CEST 2005

G'day Brian,

    BDR> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Berwin A Turlach wrote:
    >> available.packages() does not seem to have a type argument
    >> according to its documentation, so I guess that even if it is
    >> run under Windows that it returns a list of all source packages
    >> available in contrib.

    BDR> Depends on what contriburl is set to, but the default under
    BDR> Windows is binary packages.  See my article in the current
    BDR> R-Newsletter.

    BDR> The default argument is contrb.url(getOption("repos")), and
    BDR> contrib.url does have a type argument (and its default is
    BDR> getOption("pkgType") ).
Thanks for pointing this out;  seems as if I didn't read the
documentation in sufficient details.

Thus, since Nam-Ky works on a Linux box (private e-mail) the commands
should be

> options(repos=c(CRAN="http://cran.au.r-project.org/"),
+         pkgType="source")
> download.packages(available.packages(), destdir=".")

to download all the source files; followed by

> options(pkgType="win.binary")
> download.packages(available.packages(), destdir=".")

to download all contributed binary packages for Windows.

Cheers,

        Berwin