[R] R binaries

Thomas Petzoldt thpe at hhbio.wasser.tu-dresden.de
Wed Aug 31 10:19:18 CEST 2005

Nam-Ky Nguyen schrieb:
> Dear Rexperts,
>
> I intend to burn some R CDs to colleagues in Vietnam.  I want to put all
> binary files for base as well as contributed packages (for both Windows
> and Linux). It is very time consuming if I download files by files. Is
> there a place a can buy a CD with all the mentioned files?
>
> Regards,

There are many methods to download several files at once, either text
based using an ftp or http client (e.g. wget) or GUI based.

Some GUI's:

- the downTHEMall! plugin for Mozilla Firefox

- "Total Commander" (Shareware, Windows) is a very nice universal file
manager with an effective built-in ftp client.

- KDE on a recent LINUX distribution: the file manager "konqueror" has
built-in http and ftp support and is able to copy complete directory trees.

As an example to copy some documentation simply type

ftp://cran.r-project.org/pub/R/doc

(please select your cran mirror near you) into the address line, then
select the required directory (e.g. Rnews) and press the right mouse
button, but be careful if you select huge directory tries.

Thomas P.