[R] tcl/tk return problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 31 14:57:42 CEST 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> >>I suppose you mean in the User Workspace. Your OnOK function should look
> >>like that:
> >>
> >>OnOK <- function() {
> >>      fileDir<-tclvalue(tkchooseDirectory())
> >>      data.raw <<- ReadAffy(celfile.path=fileDir)
> >>}
> >>
> >>Note that the function overwrites any existing 'data.raw', so this could
> >>be dangerous. Writting directly in the User Workspace is not advised
> >>from inside a function, but here, it is the simplest way to return a
> >>result from a tk widget action.
> >

> > Maybe simplest, but not a very good way.  See
> > R_SOURCES/src/library/tcltk/R/utils.R for ideas on how to write a modal
> > dialog box that returns the value selected.
> >
> > One problem with <<- is that it does not necessarily write in the
> > workspace.  You need
> >
> >    assign("data.raw", ReadAffy(celfile.path=fileDir), envir=.GlobalEnv)
> >
> > to be sure of that.  (The example code I quote does use <<- but in a
> > controlled way.)
>
> This works, and you weren't suggesting it as a good style, but I'd like
> to say it's really a bad style to write to .GlobalEnv.

It was the question asked!  If you use a non-modal tcltk dialog you
have little choice, as the parent function will have returned and vanished
long ago.  Now, having a widget firing off R commands independently of the
command line is not a great idea (R's evaluator is not multithreaded and
this could be interspersed in another computation) so there is a lot to be
said for using dialog boxes modally.

> The controlled use of <<- as in tk_select.list from the file you
> quoted is really the best way to solve this problem.  As a general
> rule, you shouldn't stomp on something you don't own, and functions
> don't own variables in .GlobalEnv.

One could argue the user who pressed the button does: it is the user
workspace.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk