[R] masked from package:base?

Arne Henningsen ahenningsen at email.uni-kiel.de
Fri Dec 2 08:42:18 CET 2005

On Friday 02 December 2005 02:50, August Berg wrote:
> I am confused by the following description in
> http://www.maths.lth.se/help/R/.R/library/systemfit/html/hausman.systemfit.
>html
>
> what does the "Not run" mean?

This means that the command "library( systemfit )" is not executed when the
package is checked by "R CMD check".

@Jeff: I think we should remove "library( systemfit )" from the example
section, because everybody should know this.

> if we do not load systemfit, how can we run
> the following code?
>
> ## Not run: library( systemfit )
>
> data( kmenta )
> attach( kmenta )
>
> I install the package of systemfit, and run the code.
>
> I got the warning:
> > library( systemfit )
> > data( kmenta )
> > attach( kmenta )
>
>         The following object(s) are masked from package:base :

The data set "kmenta" has a (column) name called "q"
R> names(kmenta)
[1] "q" "p" "d" "f" "a"

If you attach these data to the search path, there are two objects with the
name "q": the quantity from Kmenta's data set and the function to quit R.
Hence, attaching this data set masks the function "q" (quit) from the package
called "base". However, you don't have to worry, because "q()" and "?q" still
work as expected.

@Jeff: Since using "attach" is often troublesome, I suggest that we remove
"attach( kmenta )" from the example section and use "systemfit( ..., data =
kmenta )" instead.

Best wishes,
Arne

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]