[R] identifying strong clustering

paul sorenson sourceforge at metrak.com
Fri Dec 2 09:04:42 CET 2005

I have 130 or so rows of questionnaire data.  It is 67 columns wide
mostly of categorical nature (and often yes/no).

I have been using daisy, pam and plot to view cluster plots with subsets
of columns.  With different subsets, there is great variation in the
degree of overlap of the clusterplot ellipses, which I assume indicates
some measure of differentiation between clusters.

Can anyone point me at forms of analysis which can help identify column
subsets which yield "high" clustering (separation of ellipses?)?

Sorry for the verbose description, there is probably a single word or
phrase which describes what I would like to do.  I just don't know it.

Ultimately I am trying to identify distinct groups within the
respondents and find what areas (columns) that define the groups.

cheers