[R] what is best for scripting?

Michael H. Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 2 18:17:37 CET 2005

Using R itself has the advantage that you won't need to learn a new
language.  You may even learn R better as a result.

Using Python could also work well.  I have found it worth learning, at
least the basics.  There a wider range of documentation (books)
available for Python than for R, and that may be helpful to you.  Its
syntax is less fanciful and more clean and transparent than the syntax
of Perl.  Its arrays start from zero, which can promote errors for those
used to languages where arrays start from 1.

Python is free, and so you can download it, try a few examples, and see
if you like it.  The download includes Idle, a graphical front end
similar in concept to Rgui.

Either way, good luck!

I hope that is helpful.

MHP