[R] How to catch value

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Dec 3 13:01:24 CET 2005

    Chun-Ying> Dear R users:
    Chun-Ying> I have a problem about catch the value from function.

The basic concepts of good S (and hence R) programming are

  1)  all functions should return their
     result, either explicitly via return() -- or "S like" by just
     have it the last expression ("last line") of your function.

  2) You *assign* the result of all your functions:
      res <- myfunc(....)

There are very few exceptions to this (where Kristels's advice
would apply), but in your case (and in *most*), do *not* use
assign nor "<<-".

    Chun-Ying> I have following two functions (part):

    Chun-Ying> fbolus1 <- function()
    Chun-Ying> {.........
    Chun-Ying>   par<-data.frame(Parameter=c("kel","Vd"),Initial=c(0))
    Chun-Ying>   check(par)

replace the line above with
	par <- check(par)

    Chun-Ying> .....}

    Chun-Ying> check<-function(par)
    Chun-Ying> {
    Chun-Ying> if (par[ ,2] <= 0){
    Chun-Ying> cat("\nEnter again (y/n) ?\n\n")
    Chun-Ying> ans<-readline()
    Chun-Ying> if (ans == "n" ){
    Chun-Ying> return(tidy.up())
    Chun-Ying> }
    Chun-Ying> else{
    Chun-Ying> cat("\n")
    Chun-Ying> par<-edit(par)

just replace the line above with
             return(edit(par))

    Chun-Ying> }
    Chun-Ying> }
    Chun-Ying> }

    Chun-Ying> I wonder if it is possible to catch the value ("par" in this example) which
    Chun-Ying> "check" function generated and than go back to the "fbolus1" function,  and
    Chun-Ying> keep executing the command next to "check(par)", and "fbolus1" function can
    Chun-Ying> accept the value "check" function generated. If it is possible, please give me
    Chun-Ying> some comments. Thanks in advance !!

You're welcome.
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich