[R] tiff graphics

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun Dec 4 16:49:25 CET 2005

Dennis Fisher <fisher at plessthan.com> writes:

> Colleagues
>
> I frequently insert PDF graphics created with R into Word (Office
> 2004 for Mac) documents.  The  documents are created on either a
> Linux machine (RedHat 9) or a Mac (Tiger).  I am using R 2.2.0.
>
> These pdf graphics often lose a great deal of resolution after
> insertion into Word compared to their high quality when printed as
> PDF documents.  I recently learned that converting the PDF documents
> to TIFF format (this is easily accomplished in Apple's Preview
> application) yields documents that can be inserted into Word with no
> loss of resolution.
>
> Is there any means to create TIFF documents (or some other format
> [excluding EPS] that will not lose resolution when inserted into
> Word) directly in R (i.e., so as to avoid the conversion outside of R)?

Well, the bitmap() driver might do it (install ghostscript first), but
I must say that this is absurd: EPS and PDF are resolution-independent
formats, TIFF and friends are fixed-size bitmaps. If Word decides to
mangle a perfectly good graphics file by converting it to a
low-resolution bitmap, I'd say that the problem is with Word more than
with R...

On Windows, investing in Adobe Acrobat Writer seems to be a good way
to coerce Word to generate rather good looking PDF output, with PDF
graphics from R. Wouldn't know about Mac but might guess that it is
similar.