[R] Closed form for regression splines

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Dec 5 16:11:32 CET 2005

roger koenker wrote:
> you can do:
>
> 	X <- model.matrix(formula, data = your.data)
>

> url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker

Or use a simpler basis such as the truncated power basis, and rely on
accuracy of modern matrix algebra routines to handle the non-orthogonality:

library(Design)
f <- fittingfunction(y ~ rcs(age,5)+sex)
Function(f)   # see algebraic form
latex(f)      # see nicely typeset algebraic form
publish2Web(f) # Planned future function for evaluating models on the
web using R's predict( ) function

Frank Harrell