[R] Broken links on CRAN

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Mon Dec 5 16:19:46 CET 2005

On 05-Dec-05 Doran, Harold wrote:
> Dear List:
>
> When I click on the link to download a reference manual for a package
> on cran, I get an error message that the file is damaged and could not
> be repaired. I randomly chose various packages and the same error
> message appears.
>
> Are the links actually broken? I have also restarted my machine and
> closed and re-opened acrobat.
>
> I am using Windows XP, Acrobat Professional 6.0.0.5, and Explorer
> 6.0.2900.2180
>
> Harold

This message is one which Acrobat Reader puts out when asked to
read a "damaged file" and is an unlikely response from a browser
trying to access a "broken link".

Either there is a problem with your Acrobat Reader or its installation
as a "helper" in Explorer, or there is indeed something wrong with
the files you tried to download.

The latter is (I hope) very unlikely! (given that you "randomly chose
various packages").

If you specify one or two packages for which you got this error
message, some of us can try for ourselves, cross-check your
experience, and report back. This should help to localise the
source of the problem.

Best wishes,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861