[R] Stack overflow error while creating package

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Dec 6 17:37:55 CET 2005

    manohar> Hi all,
    manohar> I am trying to build a package in R (ver 2.1.0, on a
    manohar> PC).

which I interpret that you are running Windows, right?

    manohar> I am able to run package.skeleton successfully
    manohar> and populate the different environments.
    manohar> However, when I attempt to invoke the build (R CMD
    manohar> BUILD), i get an error which says something like
    manohar> protect(): Stack Overflow

The NEWS for the current 'R 2.2.1 beta'
(-> http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/NEWS )
has had a very prominent entry at the beginning (for many weeks now),

>> USER-VISIBLE CHANGES
>>
>>    o	options("expressions") has been reduced to 1000: the limit
>> 	of 5000 introduced in 2.1.0 was liable to give crashes from C
>> 	stack overflow.

(and actually, the crashes seemed to happen particurlary often
 on Windows)

    manohar> I would appreciate if anyone could suggest a way to
    manohar> get around this error message and help me build the
    manohar> package.

You can download the pretty new precompiled R-patched (as of today "R beta")
versions for windows from your nearest CRAN mirror,
newest via "Precompiled" -> "Windows" -> "base" and "r-patched snapshot build"

Regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich