[R] R is GNU S, not C.... [was "how to get or store ....."]

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Dec 6 21:17:03 CET 2005

From: vincent at 7d4.com

> ronggui a écrit :
>
> > I think it is NOT just for historical reason.
> > see the following example:
> >
> >>rm(x)
> >>mean(x=1:10)
> > [1] 5.5
> > Error: object "x" not found
>
> x is an argument local to mean(),
> did you expect another answer ?
>
> >>mean(x<-1:10)
> > [1] 5.5
> >  [1]  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
>
> What is the goal of this "example" ?

I believe it's to show why "<-" is to be preferred over "=" for
assignment...

> Here with "<-",
> (voluntary, or not, side effect)
> the global variable x is, also, created.
> Did the writer really want that ???

Very much so, I believe.

> I though there were other specific statements
> especially intended for global assignment, eg "<<-".

You need to distinguish assignment in function _call_ and assignment in
function _definition_.  They ain't the same.

> If this example was intended to prove "<-"
> is better than "="
> ... I'm not really convinced !

In that case, let's try another one (which is one big reason I stopped using
"=" for assignment):

> long.comp <- function(n) {
+     Sys.sleep(n)
+     n
+ }
> result = long.comp(30)
> system.time(result = long.comp(30))
Error in system.time(result = long.comp(30)) :
	unused argument(s) (result ...)
> system.time(result <- long.comp(30))
[1]  0.00  0.00 30.05    NA    NA
> str(result)