[R] LME & data with complicated random & correlational structures

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Dec 7 03:32:52 CET 2005

	  Have you received any replies to this post?  I haven't seen any, so I
will attempt a few comments.  First, I'm overwhelmed with the details in
your discussion.  I suggest that for each of your question, you try to
think of an extremely simple example that would test your question, as
suggested in the Posting Guide (www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html).
If you have problems with that, please submit a question focused on that
one thing.

	  Have you looked at Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed Effects Models in
S and S-Plus (Springer)?  If no, I suggest you take a hard look at this
book.  I was unable to get anything sensible from "lme" until I started
working through this book.  This is the primary reference for "lme", and
for me at least, it was essential to understanding what I needed to do
to get anything useful from "lme".  You don't follow all the math in
this book to get something useful out of it, because it includes many
worked examples that should go a long way to answering many questions
you might have about "lme".

	  1.  "if I set something in my model formula as a fixed effect, then
it does not make sense to set it as a random effect as well? ...

 > Temperature ~ Stimulus-1, random=Subj|Subj/Epoch/Stimulus

	  I perceive several problems here.  Have you tried the following:

 > Temperature ~ Stimulus-1, random=~1|Subj/Epoch

 From your description, I'm guessing that Stimulus is a factor with
levels like ("Baseline", "A", "B", "Recovery").  My way of thinking
about these things is to try to write this as an algebraic model with
parameters to estimate.  "Temperature~Stimulus-1", ignoring the "random"
argument for the moment, could be written as follows:

(1) Temperature = b["Baseline"]*I(Stimulus=="Baseline") +
b["A"]*I(Stimulus=="A") + b["B"]*I(Stimulus=="B") +
b["Recovery"]*I(Stimulus=="Recovery"),

	  where the 4 "b" parameters are to be estimated by "iterative,
reweighted generalized least squares" to maximize an appropriate
likelihood function [and where I(...) = indicator function that is 1 if
the (...) is TRUE and 0 otherwise].

	  Now consider "random=~1|Subj";  ignore "epoch" for the moment.  This
adds one "random coefficient" to this model for each Sub.  If you have 2
subjects, then the model becomes something like the following:

(2) Temperature = b["Baseline"]*I(Stimulus=="Baseline") +
b["A"]*I(Stimulus=="A") + b["B"]*I(Stimulus=="B") +
b["Recovery"]*I(Stimulus=="Recovery") + b.subj[1]*I(Subj==1)
+ b.subj[2]*I(Subj==2).

	  However, we do NOT initially estimate the random coefficients
b.subj[1] and b.subj[2].  Rather, we assume these coefficients "b.subj"
are normally distributed with mean 0 and a variance "var.subj", and we
want to estimate "var.subj".  (We may later estimate the b.subj's
conditioned on the estimate of "var.subj", but that's a separate issue.)
  We estimate "var.subj" using "iterative, reweighted generalized least
squares" that roughly speaking "uncorrelates" or "whitens" the
correlated residuals from model (1) and then minimizes the sum of
squares of those "whitened" residuals.  More detail is provided in
Pinheiro and Bates.

	  Now consider "random=~1|Subj/Epoch".  This adds another random
coefficient for each (Subject, Epoch) combination, which we also assume
are normally distributed with mean 0 and variance "var.s.epoch".  We
then want to estimate the 4 fixed effect coefficients and the two
variance coefficients simultaneously, using the same approach I just
outlined.

	> 2- Is it possible to take a piecewise approach wrt the variance using
lme(), such as modeling the variability of each subject first ... .
When I try to set up the correlation structure, I run out of memory fast."

	  You've hit on a great idea here:  Consider the data for each subject
separately.  Plot it, think about the similarities and differences, and
condense the data into, e.g., 1 or a few numbers per subject / epoch
combination.  Then use "lme" on this condensed data set.  I'd start
simple and add complexity later.  I have on occasion tried to fit the
most complicated model I could think of, only to find that I could have
gotten most of the information from condensing it grossly and fitting
much simpler models, and I wasted lots of time and effort trying to work
with all the data at once.  I suggest you start by aggregating it to the
grossest level you think might answer your research questions. After you
have sensible answers at that level, if you still have time and energy
for this project, I then might try aggregate the data into more
summaries with fewer observations in each summary.

	  3.  Is there a way to get rid of the serial dependency BEFORE running
the model with LME(), such as initiating a corStruct before placing it
in the model?

	  Answer:  Yes, and the primary way to do this would be to aggregate,
like I just suggested.  If you still want to do more with the
correlation structure, study Pinheiro and Bates and try something with a
moderately condensed version of what you have.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves

Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer