[R] R is GNU S, not C.... [was "how to get or store ....."]

Dave Roberts droberts at montana.edu
Wed Dec 7 17:12:41 CET 2005

Well, this has been an interesting thread.  I guess my own perspective
is warped, having never been a C programmer.  My native languages are
FORTRAN, python, and R, all of which accept (or demand) a linefeed as a
terminator, rather than a semicolon, and two of which are very
particular about whitespace.

Accepting for a moment Ted's argument about wanting to compact his code,
the problem as I understand it is that ";" is a statement separator, not
a statement terminator, so that Ted really does need all those ";" in
between his statements on a single line, but that the last one implies a
NULL statement on every line.  Given that the ";" facilitates compacting
lines in vi (or vim), how about when the code is compacted you try

1,$s/;$//

which will remove all the final trailing ";" leaving the other necessary
";" separators.

Dave R.