[R] error message from building R in Mac

Fang-Yi Chiou fchiou at Princeton.EDU
Thu Dec 8 01:30:39 CET 2005

Following the instruction in R website and downloading gcc and g77, I
am trying to configure and build R in my Mac laptop, but got some
error message that I do not know how to resolve.  Do any of you know
how to solve this problem?

After type  ./configure, I got the following message.

R is now configured for powerpc-apple-darwin8.3.0

   Source directory:          .
   Installation directory:    /Library/Frameworks

   C compiler:                gcc  -g -O2
   C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
   Fortran compiler:          gfortran  -g -O2

   Interfaces supported:      X11, aqua, tcltk
   External libraries:        readline, BLAS(generic), LAPACK(in blas)
   Additional capabilities:   iconv, MBCS, NLS
   Options enabled:           framework, R profiling

   Recommended packages:      yes

But after typing "make", I got the following error message.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `R'.
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `R'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `R'.
creating src/scripts/R.fe
config.status: creating src/include/config.h
config.status: src/include/config.h is unchanged
Rmath.h is unchanged
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `R'.
make[4]: `libbz2.a' is up to date.
make[4]: `libpcre.a' is up to date.
make[4]: `libz.a' is up to date.
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `R'.
make[3]: `stamp-lo' is up to date.
make[3]: `stamp-lo' is up to date.
make[3]: `stamp-lo' is up to date.
/Users/fang-yichiou/tmp/R-2.2.0/lib/libR.dylib is unchanged
/Users/fang-yichiou/tmp/R-2.2.0/bin/exec/R is unchanged
make[4]: `R_X11.so' is up to date.
make[4]: `internet.so' is up to date.
make[4]: `lapack.so' is up to date.
make[4]: `vfonts.so' is up to date.
building system startup profile
building package 'base'
all.R is unchanged
building package 'tools'
all.R is unchanged
make[5]: `Makedeps' is up to date.
../../../../library/tools/libs/tools.so is unchanged
building package 'utils'
all.R is unchanged
building package 'grDevices'
all.R is unchanged
../../../library/grDevices/R/grDevices is unchanged
make[5]: `Makedeps' is up to date.
../../../../library/grDevices/libs/grDevices.so is unchanged
Error in solve.default(rgb) : lapack routines cannot be loaded
In addition: Warning message:
unable to load shared library '/Users/fang-yichiou/tmp/R-2.2.0/
modules/lapack.so':
   dlopen(/Users/fang-yichiou/tmp/R-2.2.0/modules/lapack.so, 6):
Symbol not found: _rcblas_zdotc_sub__
   Referenced from: /Users/fang-yichiou/tmp/R-2.2.0/modules/lapack.so
   Expected in: flat namespace
Error: unable to load R code in package 'grDevices'
Execution halted
make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
make[2]: *** [R] Error 1
make[1]: *** [R] Error 1