[R] figure with inset

Gregory Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Thu Dec 8 17:18:05 CET 2005

There is a subplot command in the latest version of the TeachingDemos
package (version 1.1 available today) that does what you want using
traditional graphics (others have given suggestions using grid
graphics).  An example:

> x <- 0:10
> y <- x^4
> plot(x,y,xaxs='i',yaxs='i')
> subplot( plot(x,y,xaxs='i',yaxs='i',xlab='',ylab=''),
c(1,5),c(5000,9000))

Or

> tmp <- cnvrt.coords(x=c(.1,.5),c(.5,.9),input='plt')$usr
> subplot( plot(x,y,xaxs='i',yaxs='i',xlab='',ylab=''), tmp)

Or

> subplot( plot(x,y), 1,9000, hadj=0, vadj=1)

See the help on subplot for more examples.

--
Gregory L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center, IHC
greg.snow at ihc.com