[R] Digests of R-help -- minor mess (unicode character set problems)
maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Dec 8 17:59:11 CET 2005
Again (as earlier last week) it happened that some of the
postings to R-help were using a version of unicode that seemed
invalid to the unicode-handler (for the digest) inside Mailman (the mailing list
software). As a consequence, yesterday's and today's daily
digests were not sent out.
This time, it ended up better and worse:
Better is that, thanks to google, I found a patch to
the python script inside mailman which made it not to choke
any more on the invalid code *)
==> The problem should not happen anymore in the future.
Worse I did this time by fouling up the manual digest resending,
such that 3 digests were sent out today, and in wrong order, too.
With apologies for any confusion to the R-help digest readers,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich
*) interestingly these problems only happened for the first time
last week, even though we've been using mailman 2.1.6 for a
long time. Interestingly too, that the fix to the problem I
found with google is only 5 weeks old, too.
My guess is that only quite recently some e-mail software has
been changed to the worse such that these illegal characters
are now sent around in e-mails.
More information about the R-help