[R] convergence error (lme) which depends on the version of nlme (?)

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Tue Dec 13 08:42:39 CET 2005

Leo GÃ¼rtler <leog <at> anicca-vijja.de> writes:

> hlm <- groupedData(laut ~ design | grpzugeh, data = imp.not.I)
>
> the grouped data object is located at and can be downloaded:
> www.anicca-vijja.de/lg/hlm_example.Rdata
>

> 2) What is the cause of the convergence error which seems to depend on
> the built of R/nlme?

The optimization engine has in R 2.2.0 changed, with mixed results, see

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/64096.html

In the short run, setting pnlsTol to a large value than the default worked for
me sometimes. In the long run (hope I got Douglas Bates right) you could switch
to lme4 which is work in progress, but currently it cannot handle your case.

Dieter