[R] Forcing model parameters to a constant (in GLMs)

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 17:00:41 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to bind specific model parameters to a constant
(in my case: 0) before fitting the model. I'm fitting multinomial
logistic regression models (via glm()).
Assuming a model with a categorial response variable c  {c1,c2,c3}
that is a matrix like

c2:    b2  b2.1  b2.2  b2.3
c3:    b3  b3.1  b3.2  b3.3,

I would like to force,  e.g. b2.1, b3.1 and b2.3 to 0 before
estimating the other parameters.

I'm aware of a similar - unresolved - question on list list back in
July:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2005-July/075042.html

The "offset" in an interaction term doesn't seem to do what I want -
as far as I can see, it manipulates the intercept, and it's additive
(i.e. an intercept is estimated anyways).

Thanks
David

--
David Reitter - ICCS/HCRC, Informatics, University of Edinburgh