[R] Polytopic Vector Analysis (PVA)

Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen kjetilbrinchmannhalvorsen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 23:30:35 CET 2005

Melanie Edwards wrote:
> I am curious whether anybody has or is developing this capability within
> R.  I have not found any software yet that has this capability and I am
> not sure whether it is too new a method and nobody is actually using it,

googling around I found that this (PVA) is a variant of factor analysis
restricted to find non-negative factors. It is not a new method,
although maybe the name is. This has been/is used for instance in
air quality monitoring to identify sources of pollution, and if you have
some prior information about possible sources that maybe could be used
to. I guess this could be called 'source unmixing' or something similar,
which indicatyes a similarity with independent component analysis. Maybe
enough to restrict optimization to non-negative values?

help.search("factor analysis")  shows that factor analysis is multiply
implemented for R, so maybe there is something, and if not, maybe
simple to adapt.

Kjetil Halvorsen