[R] Ploting graphics using X tints from a color

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Dec 14 08:58:34 CET 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Sérgio Nunes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to draw a 2D plot using multiple tints of red. The
> (simplified) setup is the following: || year | x | y ||
>
> My idea is that each year is plotted with a different tint of red.
> Older year (lightest) -> Later year (darkest). I've managed to plot
> this with different scales of grays simply by doing:

There have been other replies using rgb and hsv colour spaces directly,
but the new colorRamp and colorRampPalette functions iare worth mentioning
because they pack those solutions into a general framework:

years <- 1:20
plot(years, pch=19, col=grey(length(years):0/length(years)))

redPalette <- colorRampPalette(c("white", "red"))
plot(years, pch=19, col=redPalette(length(years)))

and the grey values can be reconstructed by:

greyPalette <- colorRampPalette(c("white", "black"))
plot(years, pch=19, col=greyPalette(length(years)))

with some values differing by 1 RGB unit. I've found colorRampPalette()
very flexible, and that it supplements RColorBrewer well, so that
intermediate colours can be interpolated for those palettes:

library(RColorBrewer)
redPalette <- colorRampPalette(brewer.pal(5, "Reds"))
plot(years, pch=19, col=redPalette(length(years)))

for a touch more tomato (subjectively) in the red.