[R] Age of an object?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 14 12:03:23 CET 2005

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Philippe Grosjean wrote:

>>     Trevor> It would be nice to have a date stamp on an object.
>>
>>     Trevor> In S/Splus this was always available, because objects were files.
>>
>>    [are you sure about "always available"?
>>     In any case, objects were not single files anymore for a
>>     long time, at least for S+ on windows, and AFAIK also on
>>     unixy versions recently ]
>>
>> This topic has come up before.
>> IIRC, the answer was that for many of us it doesn't make sense
>> most of the time:
>
> I remember it was discussed several times. I don't remember why it was
> considered too difficult to do.

Because R does not store objects.  Rather R has a workspace, containing
a collection of Ncells and Vcells which are pointed to by a look-up table
of names (what people think of as objects) and with extensive
cross-linking.

Suppose 'A' is a data frame.  What date is 'A'?  'A' consists of a list
with elements the columns, and attributes including row.names.  All those
columns and attributes can be shared with other objects, and it is
possible to update them without copying the list.  So if you wanted the
modification date of any part of the object you would need to tag every
bit of it and do a search.  Adding a date to each bit would be a
considerable overhead (remember R stores each string as a separate
sub-object), and people are whining about the storage requirements
already.

It would be possible to have a creation date on objects, but that is not
what Philippe wants below.  Even that would need considerable surgery to
deal with back-compatibility (saved objects would not have such a date).

>> If you work with *.R files ('scripts') in order to ensure
>> reproducibility, you will rerun -- often source() -- these files,
>> and the age of the script file is really more interesting.
>> Also, I *always* use the equivalent of  q(save = "no") and
>> almost only use save() to particularly save the results of
>> expensive  computations {often, simulations}.
>
> OK, now let me give examples where having such an information would ease
> the work greatly: you have a (graphical) view of the content of an
> object (for instance, the one using the "view" button in R commander),
> or you have a graphical object explorer that has a cache to speed up
> display of information about objects in a given workspace (for instance,
> the SciViews-R object explorer). What a wonderful feature it will be to
> tell if an object was changed since last query. In the view, one could
> have a visual clue if it is up-to-date or not. In the object explorer, I
> could update information only for objects that have changed...

Well, only if you believe objects have a separate existence, and perhaps
the issue is one of mindset, as Martin Maechler has hinted.

I have to wonder why people who want S do not use it.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk