[R] loess smoothing question

Thomas L Jones DrJones at alum.MIT.edu
Mon Dec 19 14:53:12 CET 2005

I am trying to smooth a dataset with evenly spaced values of x,
perhaps using loess smoothing or something similar. However, the y
values are hypergeometrically distributed; I think I want to use a
logarithmic link function. It falls under the general heading of
non-parametric regression. The problem is of interest in predicting
the demand at a voting place, in order to avoid long lines.

Questions: Should I use loess smoothing?
           Do I want a logarithmic link function? If so,
           How do I tell loess to use a logarithmic link function?

Tom, a newbie to the R project, and not really a statistician