[R] partially linear models

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Dec 20 04:23:14 CET 2005

This doesn't look like an R question, as I know of no pre-packaged
functionality publicly available that can fit the model that Elizabeth
described, and it doesn't seem like she's particularly interested in an
R-based answer, either.

My gut feeling is that if there is a test of significance for beta in such a
model, it probably shouldn't depend upon how f() is fitted, wavelets or
otherwise.  I.e., any test for the linear component in a partially linear
model ought to do just fine.  The main difference here, from a fully linear
model, is that one no longer can estimate E(y) without bias, even with the
assumption that the model is correct.  What gets messier still is if
data-dependent smoothing/de-noising is done in estimating f(), as that opens
up a whole bucket of nasty creatures.

I could be off, though, so take this with a truck-load of NaCl...

Andy

From: Spencer Graves