[R] Wilcoxon Mann-Whitney Rank Sum Test in R

Bob Green bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au
Tue Dec 20 21:24:16 CET 2005

An earlier post had posed the question: "Does anybody know what is relation
between 'T' value calculated by 'wilcox_test' function (coin package) and
more common 'W' value?"

I found the question interesting and ran the commands in R and SPSS. The W
reported by R did not seem to correspond to either   Mann-Whitney U,
Wilcoxon W or the Z which I have more commonly used. Correction for ties
may have affected my results.

Can anyone else explain what the reported W is and the relation to the
reported T?

regards

bob