[R] Why lmer() is not working, altough lme4 is installed?

Henric Nilsson henric.nilsson at statisticon.se
Wed Dec 21 13:20:59 CET 2005

On On, 2005-12-21, 12:51, Petar Milin skrev:

> I have installed lme4 library, but when I try something with lmer()
> function, I receive error message. On the other hand, I can use lme()
> function from the same library. Are those two the very same function or
> not? I am a bit confused.

At least in recent versions of the lme4 package there's no `lme' function,
and in fact there's no fitting functions for (G)LMMs whatsoever. These
have been transfered to the Matrix package during the development process
-- the function you're looking for is called `lmer'.

>From below, your R installation is seriously outdated. Matrix need R >=
2.2.0, so you must update (which is a good idea, anyway!).

HTH,
Henric