[R] Random numbers

Carl carl at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Wed Dec 21 15:47:24 CET 2005

Hi All.
I have R code whose functionality is being replicated within a C+
program. The outputs are to be compared to validate the conversion
somewhat - however (as is always the case) I have stuffed my code with
random number calls.

Random uniform numbers in C+ are being produced using the (Boost)
mersenne-twister generators (mt11213b & mt19937) - which is the default
type of generator in R (if I read things correctly). If it was all
within R I would just set the seed for reproducibility.

Basically - how do I specify in C+ for a set of random uniform numbers
such that they are the same as from R? I have considered the possibility
of storing/using the R generated random numbers in the C+ version for
validation purposes - but there are a lot of them, and that strikes me
as a generally ugly way of doing things.

thanks in advance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Carl Donovan
Lecturer in statistics