[R] reading long matrix

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 02:53:04 CET 2005

One way to do this is to use read.fwf.  I have borrowed Jim's
use of scan and use a similar calculation to get the indexes
of the breaks, breaks.  We then determine the common number
of rows and columns in each species.

The second group of statements replaces all 9's with spaces
so that upon parsing them as numbers they will be NAs and then sets
up a text connection to the resulting character vector.  These are then
read in by read.fwf, nr rows at a time and the result is
unlist'ed to a numeric vector, nums.  The last statement
reshapes it into an array and adds the species names as
the last dimension names.

# read data in
L <- scan("clipboard", what = "")
breaks <- grep("^[[:alpha:]]", L)
nr <- breaks[2] - breaks[1] - 1; nc <- nchar(L[2])

# parse numbers
n <- length(L[-breaks]) / nr
con <- textConnection(gsub("9", " ", L[-breaks]))
nums <- unlist(replicate(n, read.fwf(con, widths = rep(1, nc), n = nr)))
result <- array(nums, c(6,9,3), c(NULL, NULL, L[breaks]))