[R] No performance increase from dual-core processors?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 27 08:32:20 CET 2005

R only runs multiple computational threads as part of a BLAS/LAPACK addon
on Unix-alikes, so no speed-up is expected from dual processors (which
includes Intel's HyperThreading, as well as dual-cored systems).

A faster processor would give you considerable increases even single-core,
and a 2.8GHz Pentium is quite slow compared to an Athlon64 or Opteron
(as you have found: P4 systems are slow for their clock speeds compared to
PIIIs (such as Pentium M) or almost anything else).  My 2GHz Pentium M
laptop is faster than my 2.8GHz P4 home desktop, and an Opteron 252 is
considerably faster again (even running a 64-bit OS and build of R).

BTW, testing 500,000 normals is a single R command and is for me fast
enough to be hard to time accurately:

> system.time(x <- rnorm(5e5))
[1] 0.10 0.01 0.10 0.00 0.00

on an Opteron 252.