[R] How to plot curves with more than 8 colors

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Dec 27 09:20:44 CET 2005

Vincent Deng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a new hand in R language. I have about 20 groups of data[x,y] and
> want to plot them on a graph. To do this, I write a for-loop as
> following: (some codes are omitted for simplicity)
>
> for (i in c(1:20))
> {
>   points(...,...,col=i)
>   lines(...,col=i)
> }
>
> The problem is "R only plot them with 8 colors repeatly". Could anyone
> help me solve this problem? Or is there any package providing plot
> function without color limit?

After typing

  ?colors

I get a nice help page that points me to a lot of other functions that
generate more than 8 colors. Maybe your installation of R is broken and
you cannot see this help page? You certainly tried to get help on colors
as well.

There is no limit of the color number in the functions above, simply
specify the color you want to get. The only color limit applies for the
device and for most devices and rgb colors this is 256^3.

Uwe Ligges