[R] help.start() doesn't work

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Dec 27 15:32:24 CET 2005

Andreas Zocher <andreas.zocher at postmail.ch> writes:

> I installed the latest R-package "R-2.1.1-1.rh4AS.i686.rpm" on a Red Hat
> Desktop 4 (RH EL4) machine. When I try to get help by the help.start()
> command an error message appears:
>
> -----
> > help.start()
> Making links in per-session dir ...
> If '/usr/bin/mozilla' is already running, it is *not* restarted, and
>     you must switch to its window.
> Otherwise, be patient ...
> sh: /usr/bin/mozilla: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> sh: /usr/bin/mozilla: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> -----
>
> The firefox browser is installed in "/usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7" by
> default.
>
> How can I change R's browser path?

options(browser="/usr/bin/firefox")

is one way. Setting the environment variable R_BROWSER (before
starting R) is another. And meddling with the Renviron file, personal
or system-wide, is a third method.

This information does seem to be a bit tricky to dig out from the R
documentation, especially the R_BROWSER bit. I can only find a
somewhat oblique reference in the R-admin manual and of course
?Startup points you towards the Renvironment files and
$RHOME/etc/Renviron demonstrates what you can set and how.

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B