[R] Testing a linear hypothesis after maximum likelihood

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Dec 29 13:04:05 CET 2005

	  Why can't you use a likelihood ratio?  I would write two slightly
different functions, the second of which would use the linear constraint
to eliminate one of the coefficients.  Then I'd refer 2*log(likelihood
ratio) to chi-square(1).  If I had some question about the chi-square
approximation to the distribution of that 2*log(likelihood ratio)
statistic, I'm use some kind of Monte Carlo, e.g., MCMC.

	  If you'd like more help from this listserve, PLEASE do read the
posting guide! "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".  Anecdotal
evidence suggests that posts that follow more closely the suggestions in
that guide tend to get more useful replies quicker.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves

Peter Muhlberger wrote:

> I'd like to be able to test linear hypotheses after setting up and running a
> model using optim or perhaps nlm.  One hypothesis I need to test are that
> the average of several coefficients is less than zero, so I don't believe I
> can use the likelihood ratio test.
>
> I can't seem to find a provision anywhere for testing linear combinations of
> coefficients after max. likelihood.
>
> Cheers & happy holidays,
>
> Peter

Spencer Graves, PhD