[R] How to fit all points into plot?

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu Dec 29 23:33:25 CET 2005

On 12/29/05 5:19 PM, "Martin Lam" <tmlammail at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem when I want to add new points (or a
> new line) to the graph. Some points (or parts of the
> line) are not shown on the graph because they lie
> beyond the scale of the axis. Is there a way to
> overcome this so all points (or the entire line) are
> shown on the graph? Here's an example of my problem:
>
> colors = c("red", "blue")
>
> plot(x=rnorm(100,0,1), y=runif(100), type="p", pch=21,
> col = colors[1])
>
> # if I add these points not all of them are shown on
> the graph
> lines(x=rnorm(100,3,1), y=runif(100), type="p",
> pch=24, col = colors[2])

You will need to use something like max and min for ALL of your x and y
values and then set your own ylim and xlim for the plot.

 xold <- rnorm(100,0,1)
 yold <- runif(100)
 xnew <- rnorm(100,3,1)
 ynew <- runif(100)

 plot(xold,yold,xlim=c(min(c(xold,xnew)),max(c(xold,xnew))),
      ylim=c(min(c(yold,ynew)),max(c(yold,ynew))))

 lines(xold,yold,type='p')

This isn't tested, but I hope you get the idea.

Sean