[R] Problems with updating R-packages

Petar Milin pmilin at ff.ns.ac.yu
Sat Dec 31 12:27:19 CET 2005

Dear Helpers,
I am new in Linux and R, trying to update packages I need in my work,
but repeatedly I failed for reasons I do not understand.
First, I use:
> update.packages()
Then, I choose nearest mirror and accept update of 'Design' package:
> Design :
> Version 2.0-9 installed in /usr/lib/R/site-library
> Version 2.0-12 available at http://cran.r-mirror.de
> Update (y/N/c)?  y
Finally, after successful download, installation starts and fails:
> trying URL 'http://cran.r-mirror.de/src/contrib/Design_2.0-12.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 329401 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 321Kb
>
> * Installing *source* package 'Design' ...
> ** libs
> g77   -fPIC  -g -O2 -c lrmfit.f -o lrmfit.o
> g77   -fPIC  -g -O2 -c mlmats.f -o mlmats.o
> g77   -fPIC  -g -O2 -c robcovf.f -o robcovf.o
> gcc -shared  -o Design.so lrmfit.o mlmats.o robcovf.o  -lg2c -lm
-lgcc_s -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
> /usr/bin/ld: crti.o: No such file: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [Design.so] Error 1
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'Design'
> ** Removing '/usr/lib/R/site-library/Design'
> ** Restoring previous '/usr/lib/R/site-library/Design'
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>         /tmp/RtmphbLWxZ/downloaded_packages
> Warning message:
> installation of package 'Design' had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,

I am using following R under Ubuntu - Linux:
 platform = "i386-pc-linux-gnu"
 arch = "i386"
 os = "linux-gnu"
 system = "i386, linux-gnu"
 major = "2"
 minor = "2.1"
 year = "2005"
 month = "12"
 day = "20"
 "svn rev" = "36812"
 language = "R"

I would be really thankful if anyone could give me explanation of what I
am doing wrong and how can I make update.

Sincerely,
Petar Milin
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology