[R] RODBC - connect is failing

Donna-n-Doug Finner stonehusky at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 20:56:24 CET 2005

I get the following errors when attempting an ODBC connection to a MySQL db.

1: [RODBC] ERROR: state HY000, Code 0, message [MySQL] [ODBC 3.51
Driver] Could not determine the driver name so could not lookup setup
library.
2: ODBCConnection failed in: odbcDriverConnect(st, case=case,
believeNRows=believeNRows).

Win XP sp2
MySQL 4.1.8
My SQLODBC 3.51.10
Package RODBC (latest) is installed.

LibMySQL.dll is in about a 1/2 dozen directories including
Winnt\System32, my PHP directory, and several MySQL directories.
I note that there are apparently different versions of this file
(different file sizes and dates) so I'm not sure if there is a problem
here.

I've searched the archives and found nothing other than a suggestion
to put the dll in the \system32 directory which didn't help.  If I
missed the key posting, just point me in the right direction and I'll
go get the info.

Not sure where to go from here so any pointers are appreciated.

Doug

ps - the ODBC driver is working - I can test if from the Windows
Control Panel and get a successful connect.