[R] A "rude" question

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr paulojus at est.ufpr.br
Tue Feb 1 23:14:17 CET 2005

One problem with distributing packages with the test sub-directory
is that this can overload the daily tests in the CRAN machines

My workaround for that  is:
For the geoR package I run the tests in my machine but remove the tests
directory when submitting to CRAN.
Also I mantain a package web-page where I make the version
with tests available for downloading

P.J.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Spencer Graves wrote:

> Hi, Paul:
>
>       How can I access "the package tests directory" you mentioned?
> Only one of the 52 subdirectories of "library" in my current
> installation of R 2.0.1 has a "test" folder.
>
>       Thanks,
>       Spencer Graves
>
> Paul Gilbert wrote:
>
> > One point that did not get mentioned in this discussion, and I believe
> > deserves
> > much more publicity, is the impact of packages tests. The design of
> > the package
> > system allows package developers to put tests in packages, and these
> > are checked
> > regularly (see <http://cran.at.r-project.org/contrib/checkSummary.html>).
> >
> > These are intended to test the package functionality, but also give R
> > what is
> > perhaps the largest test suite of any statistical software (certainly
> > the most
> > quickly growing). While any single package's test will never guarantee
> > that
> > the package works perfectly, the ensemble goes a long way toward ensuring
> > that core R functionality behaves as intended. It seems unlikely to me
> > that any
> > commercial effort will ever be able to catch up.
> >
> > There are several ways that tests can add to our confidence that
> > calculations can be trusted. They can
> >   - check against theoretical results
> >   - check against published results
> >   - check against results from other software
> >   - check that calculations done in different ways give the same result
> >   - check that monte carlo experiments give distributions that are
> > consistent
> >      with expected results
> >
> > Some of these are relatively time consuming to set up and check the
> > first time,
> > but after that they can be automatic.
> >
> > If you have particular calculations with specific packages that you
> > are especially
> > concerned about, I encourage you to participate by devising good tests
> > and sending
> > them to the package developers. (But first check the tests they are
> > already doing
> > in the package tests directory.)
> >
> > Paul Gilbert
> >
> > msck9 at mizzou.edu wrote:
> >
> >> Dear all, I am beginner using R. I have a question about it. When you
> >> use it,
> >> since it is written by so many authors, how do you know that the
> >> results are trustable?(I don't want to affend anyone, also I trust
> >> people). But I think this should be a question.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Ming

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr
LEG (Laboratório de Estatística e Geoinformação)
Departamento de Estatística
Universidade Federal do Paraná
Caixa Postal 19.081
CEP 81.531-990