[R] Split-split plot ANOVA

Mike Saunders mike_saunders at umenfa.maine.edu
Wed Feb 2 18:38:09 CET 2005

Jesus and the rest of the R-help community:

Thanks for your help.  I have been going over and over the examples in MASS
and the Pinheiro and Bates example, but cannot get my model to run correctly
with either aov or lme.  Could someone give me a hand with the correct model
statement?

First a description of the design.  We are studying germination rates for
various species under a variety of treaments.  This is a blocked split-split
plot design.  The levels and treatments are:

Blocks:  1-6

Whole plot treatment:
   Overstory:  Yes or No

Split plot treatments:
   Caging (to protect against seed predators):  Yes or No
   Herbaceous competition (i.e., grass):  Yes or No

Split-split plot treatment:
   Tree species:  7 kinds

The response variable is Lag, which is a indication of when the seeds first
germinated.  I will be doing this analysis for a couple other response
variables as well in separate analyses.

I have had mixed results using the examples as a guide to build my
statement; I am unsure how to specify the crossed factors at the split-plot
level.

Lastly, I have unbalanced data since some treatment combinations never had
any germination.  Since the data are highly nonnormal, I hope to do a
permutations test on the F-values for each main effect and interaction in
order to get my p-values.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Mike

Mike Saunders