[R] Split-split plot ANOVA

Christoph Scherber Christoph.Scherber at uni-jena.de
Thu Feb 3 11:40:03 CET 2005

Hi Mike,

Do you have a schematic drawing of how exactly your treatments were
applied? In split-plot experiments, it is generally very important to
clearly define the sequence of plot sizes, because if you don´t do this
properly, then the output will be confusing. Checking if your degrees of
freedom at each level are correct should give you a good idea about
whether you´ve specified the model in the right way.

Generally, I see some problem with your model specification as you seem
to have two (not one) treatments in some of your subplots.

If I got it right, the sequence of terms should be something like
Block/Whole.plot/Caging/Competition/Species

at least if it´s a full split-plot.

Can you send me some more details on the design?

Regards,
Christoph