[R] simple example of C interface to R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Feb 4 21:09:37 CET 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 jbdunsmo at utmb.edu wrote:

> i'd like to use the C interface to R in a program i'm writing.  as a
> starting point, i'm trying to create a very simple C program that uses
> R.  i've read the R documentation on this, but i'm having trouble
> figuring out where SEXP is defined and how to use it.
>
> i noticed someone else on this list also tried to use the C interface,
> but they ran into similar problems:
> http://maths.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/help/03b/1942.html
>
> could someone show me a simple example of how to use the R interface
> to C?

Well, it is documented in the Writing R Extensions manual:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#System-and-foreign-language-interfaces

and in the source code of many contributed packages - they may give you
good examples - look in their src/ directories. But DO read the manual,
please, that's what it is for!