[R] How to access results of survival analysis

Heinz Tuechler tuechler at gmx.at
Sat Feb 5 17:28:27 CET 2005

At 15:19 05.02.2005 +0100, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>Heinz Tuechler wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> it seems that the main results of survival analysis with package survival
>> are shown only as side effects of the print method.
>>
>> If I compute e.g. a Kaplan-Meier estimate by
>>
>>>km.survdur<-survfit(s.survdur)
>>
>> then I can simply print the results by
>>
>>>km.survdur
>>
>> Call: survfit(formula = s.survdur)
>>
>>       n  events  median 0.95LCL 0.95UCL
>>   100.0    58.0    46.8    41.0    79.3
>>
>> Is there a simple method to access these results, e.g. if I want to print
>> only the median with the confidence limits?

>No, the print methods do not return those values.
>But you can copy code for calculation of the required values from those
>print methods into your own functions...
>
>Uwe Ligges

Thank you for your answer. I assume, you suggest to use
capture.output(print(...)). Without your response I would have believed
that I had missed an important possibility of R.

Regarding the Cox-Model Ales Ziberna gave me a useful hint to use summary()
which returns a list.

Thanks to both of you,

Heinz Tüchler