[R] further issues with install.packages

Adrian Dusa adi at roda.ro
Sun Feb 6 15:22:18 CET 2005

Hi again,

I run R under SuSE 9.2 Professional (installed via rpm) and I am trying to
install some packages from CRAN. The trouble is, after successful
installations, my destdir directory is deleted...!

My command:
install.packages("Rcmdr", "/usr/lib/R/library",
CRAN="http://cran.r-project.org", destdir="/home/adi/Kituri/R.packages",
dependencies=TRUE)

After each package I get:
WARNING: UTF-8 locales are not currently supported

Package rgl gives:
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'rgl'
** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/rgl'
** Restoring previous '/usr/lib/R/library/rgl'
Warning message:
Installation of package rgl had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages("rgl", "/usr/lib/R/library", CRAN =
"http://cran.r-project.org",

Trying to run Rcmdr I get:
library(Rcmdr)
Error in fun(...) : this isn't a Tk applicationcouldn't connect to display
"homelinux.roda.local:0.0"
Error: .onLoad failed in loadNamespace for 'tcltk'
Error: package 'tcltk' could not be loaded

I have the tcl and tk packages installed under SuSE.

The command whereis g77 gives:
g77: /usr/bin/g77 /usr/share/man/man1/g77.1.gz

R.version
         _
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686