[R] Labelling and formatting of graphics

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sun Feb 6 17:42:30 CET 2005

Nicholas Galwey wrote:

> In the output of the code below, I want to do the following:
>

> -          get hats over some of the betas

See ?plotmath:
  expression(hat(beta))

> -          get the polygons stippled, not coloured grey

See ?polygon:
   polygon(selx, sely, density = 10)

> -          remove the tick marks at the ends of the axes.   If I put tick =
> false, the whole axis disappears.

Well, omit the axis at first, e.g. by yaxt="n", and add it using axis()
specifying only those ticks you are going to see.

[lot of stuff removed here]

 > Moreover, in the output of the code below, I want to:
 >
 > -     get values placed by every tickmark, not just every alternate
 > tickmark

Reduce the font size (see ?par, cex.axis) or arrange the text
perpendicular to the axis (see ?par, las).
It will be plotted if sufficient amount of space is available.

 > -     give the values to fewer places of decimals.

use round() in your call to axis().

Uwe Ligges