[R] install RMySQL

Xander Meadow xmeadow at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 7 20:25:48 CET 2005

Hi,

I've got a Dual G5 running 10.3.7 and I'm trying to install RMySQL.
I've already got R up and running.  When I try the command

> install.packages("RMySQL")

It downloads a few things and then produces the following error:
---------------------------
Configuration error:
   Could not locate the library "libz" required by MySQL.

INSTRUCTIONS:

   The "libz" library is required by the MySQL client library
   in order to compress/uncompress connections between clients
   and the MySQL engine.

   Make sure you have "libz" installed properly and/or included
   in your $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Perhaps it is not in any of the
   standard directories (e.g., /usr/lib/, /usr/local/lib)?

Aborting the installation of RMySQL.

ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RMySQL'
----------------------------

However, if I check for libz I get:

> capabilities("libz")
libz
TRUE

I'm not sure what the problem is because R is telling me that it doesn't
know where libz is, but then it's also telling me it does know where
libz is.

Has anyone else seen this problem or know how I can get RMySQL installed
on my machine?

Just as an added note I know that install.packages works because

> install.packages("DBI")

worked without a problem.

Thanks again.

-Xander