[R] Confidence intervals for rates (dependent events)

Dirk Enzmann dirk.enzmann at jura.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Feb 8 14:51:11 CET 2005

I need advice or opinions for the following problem:

In a sample a part of the respondents has experienced victimizing
events. Only a part of these events have been reported to the police.
The rate of events reported to the police is

number of experienced events / number of reported events.

Because the events cannot be assumed to be independent (some victims
have a high rate of vicitimization because they are more prone to become
a victim) the construction of a confidence interval for the rate of
events reported becomes difficult (to me).

Question 1: If nevertheless a use a binomial test to construct a
confidence interval (say: 0 of 13 events reported,

binom.test(0,13,0/13)

CI = 0 to 24.7 %), is it correct that the width of this interval is a
lower bound and thus a conservative estimate?

Question 2: (a) My intuition tells me that multilevel modeling could be
a solution to obtain a correct confidence interval by treating the
events and the events reported as the first level and the victims as the
second. Is this correct and how should I specify this model?

(b) Alternatively, could I treat the events (and events reported?) as
coming from a negative binomial distribution and use this for
constructing a confidence interval? How can this be done technically,
for example by using nb.glm?

Thanks in advance,
Dirk

Dr. Dirk Enzmann