[R] Windows Printing and Line Widths

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Tue Feb 8 17:09:18 CET 2005

Hi all,
I develop and print from both Windows and Linux, and am seeing some
printing inconsistencies first described about a year and a half ago by
Andy Liaw (see below). Specifically, the line widths on my windows plots
are about 5 times smaller than that on Linux, and my windows printouts
do not match what my screen looks like. However, if I print to a pdf
file first, then I can get accurate Windows reproduction of my screen. I
was thinking of writing a windows.print() wrapper that creates a
temporary pdf file and then prints that. However, I wanted to see if a
better solution now exists to get identical printouts on both Linux and
Windows (since Andy's original post), or any comments on what printers
this does or does not affect.

Thanks,
Robert

HP Laserjet 8150DN
HP Color Laserjet 4600DN
HP Laserjet 4050TN

platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32
system   i386, mingw32
status
major    2
minor    0.1
year     2004
month    11
day      15
language R

---------------------------------
From: Prof Brian Ripley
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 23:59:29 EDT

What printer driver are you using?

I've just tried this and it works exactly as one would expect on my HP
970CXi, as well as cut-and-paste into other applications. It also worked

printing to Acrobat Distiller (although all the lines were thinner there

than on-screen and on the 970CXi, the ratio was still 1:5).

We've been here before, and had to abandon some optimizations because of
bug in interpreting Windows metafiles in Word.

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Sundar Dorai-Raj wrote:

> Andy,
> I've experienced the same thing. What's interesting is that printing
> a plot (CTRL-P) with lwd = 25 makes lines on the hardcopy look like
lwd
> = 5. I'm using R1.7.1 on Win2000Pro.
>
> Regards,
> Sundar
>
> Liaw, Andy wrote:
> > Dear R-help,
> >
> > Has anyone notice the problem that, on Windows (NT and XP), when
printing a
> > graph using the "File -> Print..." menu in the graphics window to
print the
> > graph, that line width seemed to be ignored in the printed output?
For