[R] installing package hier.part on Mac OSX

Theresa Talley tstalley at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 04:23:18 CET 2005

Hi-
I've been trying to install the hier.part package on
my mac (OSX 10.3.7) and it is not working for some
reason. I am downloading the package source called :
hier.part_1.0.tar.gz.  When I try to auto install from
the cran site, I get this message:
* Installing *source* package 'hier.part' ...
** libs
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/SHLIB:
line 1: make: command not found

And when I try to install from the zip file on my
computer, I get this message:
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning messages:
1: Installation of package hier.part had non-zero exit
status in: install.packages(c("hier.part"), lib =
"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library",
2: tar returned non-zero exit code: 512 in: untar(pkg,
tmpDir)
3: cannot open file `hier.part_1.0.tar/DESCRIPTION'

I've successfully installed other packages (e.g.,
vegan, cluster) so am not sure if there is something
different about this one or if I’m just being dopey.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks, theresa