[R] Update error in Fedora Core 3

Thomas W Volscho THOMAS.VOLSCHO at huskymail.uconn.edu
Mon Feb 14 03:00:14 CET 2005

Dear List,
I am new to Linux and I just installed Fedora Core 3 (workstation installation) on my PC--software came from a book called Red Hate Linux Fedora 3 Unleashed.  Installing R was relatively easy.

I ran into a problem, however.  After typing "Update.Packages()" I am able to download them, but I then get the following output:

/usr/lib/R/bin/Rcmd: line 45: exec: INSTALL: not found
/usr/lib/R/bin/Rcmd: line 45: exec: INSTALL: not found
/usr/lib/R/bin/Rcmd: line 45: exec: INSTALL: not found
/usr/lib/R/bin/Rcmd: line 45: exec: INSTALL: not found
/usr/lib/R/bin/Rcmd: line 45: exec: INSTALL: not found
/usr/lib/R/bin/Rcmd: line 45: exec: INSTALL: not found
/usr/lib/R/bin/Rcmd: line 45: exec: INSTALL: not found
/usr/lib/R/bin/Rcmd: line 45: exec: INSTALL: not found

After deleting downloaded files, I get:

Warning messages:
1: Installation of package KernSmooth had non-zero exit status in: install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,
2: Installation of package VR had non-zero exit status in: install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,
3: Installation of package boot had non-zero exit status in: install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,
4: Installation of package cluster had non-zero exit status in: install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,
5: Installation of package foreign had non-zero exit status in: install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,
6: Installation of package lattice had non-zero exit status in: install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,
7: Installation of package rpart had non-zero exit status in: install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,
8: Installation of package survival had non-zero exit status in: install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,

Does anyone know how to resolve this?  Am I using the wrong command to update?  I just switched from using R in Windows.  Thank you for your input.

-Tom

Thomas W. Volscho
Graduate Student
Dept. of Sociology U-2068